Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Reflection

Unfortunately cutting and welding is a required part of putting a VQ into an Rx-7. There is not enough clearance between the hood, firewall, subframe, steering rack, trans mount locations, etc. I spent a LONG time agonizing over the problem prior to cutting and welding on the car. The motor mount differences between the FWD and RWD are not really an issue. The biggest problem is the nissan motors are front sump and the Rx-7 frame is best suited for a rear sump engine. Another issue is the coolant pipes that come out of the rear of the engine on both FWD and RWD models interfere with the firewall. I fixed that problem by moving the firewall . If you want to easier swap for a VQ into something I hear it fits pretty good into a nissan 240. Intake clearance may be an issue though. The 240 swaps I have seen used maxima motors with various solutions for the intake.VG's have totally different blocks (and are steel). If you want to bolt up a 350z trans you need to use a VQ engine.Thaniel

2 comments:

  1. I own this car you did a fantastic job can you give me any more info on it this car lost its luster a bit but its the best thing I've ever owned also if you would be interested working on I'm trying to race it in a hill climb giants dispear in wilksbarre pa you are an amazing builder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own this car you did a fantastic job can you give me any more info on it this car lost its luster a bit but its the best thing I've ever owned also if you would be interested working on I'm trying to race it in a hill climb giants dispear in wilksbarre pa you are an amazing builder

    ReplyDelete