Monday, June 14, 2004

Introduction - Summary










Well it seems my project is getting to the point where it looks like I can finish it so I thought it would be a good time for a post showing it's progress.I bought the chasis in march of 2003.




Sold off some of the engine parts while looking for a suitable engine to install.









July 2003, Bought a nissan maxima engine V-6 to install.


I'm still not sure why but it sounded like a good idea at the time. Converting a FWD engine to RWD has not been without problems. First of which was finding a sutiable trans.


August 2003 I bought a 2003 350z 6 speed manual. One of the very few that would bolt to the maxima block. I'm using a maxima flywheel and maxima clutch which required making an adapter to bring the 350z throw out bearing closer to the clutch assembly.





FYI I'm using a 2002 pathfinder starter. I'm using the stock maxima ECU. Fitting the mess under the hood without cutting a hole in the hood was not an easy task. I had to totally rework the front subframe and I cut the firewall and moved part of it back 2" to make room.





I have also cut the intake manifold appart and reglued it so the throttle body now points to the front of the car.



I had to fabricate my own shifting linkage to get the shifter to come up through the Rx-7 shift boot. I thought that part turned out nice. Since I was making it up anyway I made it to be a shorter throw shifter. Feels perfect to me.I had a lot of difficulty getting a driveshaft but finnally have been able to get one made using an infinity G35 driveshaft for the front slip yoke and weld yoke.Saturday I pulled the engine/trans for hopfully the last time. I am finishing work on the firewall. I hope to reinstall the engine trans and the newly made drive shaft soon and take it for a drive (driveshaft arrives in 2 days).I'll add more pics soon.
























No comments:

Post a Comment